Sunday, April 27, 2014

Overnight Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oats

I am an absolute cereal and oatmeal addict. I LOVE the stuff. Out here on the East End of Long Island, I have a favorite cafe that serves the BEST steel cut oats----topped with cinnamon and berries.  The problem?? It's SO EXPENSIVE! More that $13 for an order of oats. Seriously....OATS. But, why do I keep going?? Because, let's face it....steel cut oats are kind of a pain in the tush to prepare. Sure, It's just a matter of boiling in a sauce pan. But, I don't particularly enjoy waiting 30 minutes for a bowl of oatmeal in the morning.

Recently, I was really craving (24 weeks pregnant) a bowl of the hearty stuff for LUNCH. This is not unlike me---wanting a breakfast dish for lunch or dinner---but, it got me thinking. What a GREAT OPTION for my husband to take to work, as well! Each morning, we have our Shakeology for breakfast together, which is chock full of protein, phytonutrients, antioxidants, super foods, etc. etc.....What a GREAT compliment it would be to send him off with a hearty bowl of steel cut oats, paired with fresh berries and cinnamon for lunch! So, I decided to make a large batch of the stuff in my slow cooker overnight----it keeps in the fridge for up to a week! But, I assure you--it won't last that long.

I added a can of pumpkin to my recipe, mainly for nutritional factor. Packed pumpkin offers added fiber, vitamin A, Beta Carotene, Vitamin C, etc. Further, it gives the oatmeal a nice flavor and consistency, without adding empty calories. I hope you Enjoy this one!

Don't like pumpkin? Leave it out!

Overnight Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oats


* This recipe makes QUITE A BIT of oatmeal!

Ingredients
  • 2 cups steel cut oats
  • 7 cups water
  • 2 cups skim milk
  • 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
  • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • extra milk for topping, cinnamon, brown sugar, berries, for topping (optional, but so worth it!)
  • Instructions
    1. Coat the inside of slow cooker with cooking spray. Mix all ingredients in a large (6 quart) slow cooker and cook on warm overnight or at least 8 hours


No comments:

Post a Comment